Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Thanksgiving in New York City Part Two




So we left the hotel just before 6am on Thanksgiving day, my dad did the research and knew that if we wanted good spots for the parade we needed to be out there at 6. It was crazy how empty all the streets were even though it was so early. Normally its absolutely pack so I expected there to still be people out, but nope. Just the Arlt family and the NYPD. 


It was so fun walking by the TODAY show and seeing them shoot the news everyday.


The parade started at 9am, so we had a few hours to wait once we got spots. The time flew by, we all couldn't believe how fast it went. My parents made friends with the people around us and we drank coffee and ate croissants while we waited. There was too much excitement to get bored waiting. We also watched the NYPD, they were everywhere.
I had been pretty nervous after hearing about what happened in Paris with ISIS and the threat on Times Square just before our trip, but once we were there I was so much more at ease! 
The police were everywhere and I felt pretty safe. 


I guess having this van drive by with NYPD officers and rifles helped some.





Then the parade began. It was so surreal. It still doesn't feel like real life! We had perfect spots right in the front row.






I also haven't seen many celebrities in real life, so this was like an overload. 

Several of my friends texting me saying they were watching the parade at home and it was so fun to tell them what float I was seeing and to hear what one was on TV.




This picture ^^^ is for Luke. 











 Mariah Carey. Insane..




It was definitely my favorite part of the trip. I want to go every year!



After the parade we went to lunch at the Stardust Diner, it is a restaurant that has a singing wait staff! In the last year they have lost 16 of their waiters/waitresses to broadway!
It was definitely different eating Thanksgiving in a restaurant, but I didn't mind it too much :) can't complain when you're in NYC,


After lunch we headed back to the hotel for naps. We were so tired from our late night and early morning. We woke up about an hour and a half later completely rejuvenated and ready to see the 9/11 memorial.


But not before a trip to Starbucks of course. 
More to come!

1 comment: