Sunday, August 3, 2014

How to: Run Your Heart Out



I thought it would be appropriate to write a blog post about how to find running motivation since it's something I'm looking for quite often. I go through phases where it's easy to run every day and phases where it's pretty much the hardest thing. Lately I have been doing pretty well in the motivation department but I thought I would share some of my secrets for when you need a little extra "pep" in your step. Or steps. Or steps and steps and steps and steps. 


People- I'm running over 50 miles a week for my college cross-country summer training. I know what I'm talking about when I say getting out there and running almost every day is H A R D.

Here are some tips:

1. Download new music onto your iPhone, iPod, etc. I have lots of good "pump-up" music. Luke may disagree, but hey whatever it takes. (FloRida, Afrojack, Pitbull, Black-eyed Peas) Ya feel? It makes me feel super cool and intense. 

2. Try listening to sermons or other podcasts while you run. I actually just did this for the first time the other day. My church, (Fairhaven Church) has an app you can download and listen to the sermons from your phone. It's great, you should try it!

3. RUN WITH OTHER PEOPLE. Running over the summer gets pretty boring when I'm used to running every day with my teammates/best friends at school. I'm lucky enough to have fit parents who run as well. My dad joins me on a few runs each week and it definitely makes it easier to wake up in the morning when someone else is doing it with you. You can even make it a social event by inviting friends to come run a few miles with you!

4. Wake up early to run. I am a big fan of doing morning runs. I love having it out of the way for the rest of the day, and especially love beating the heat. Plus, sometimes I think my brain is still asleep when I start so it's not as hard to push myself out of the door when its basically still nighttime. 


Pretty sure there has never been a morning that I have regretted getting up early to run. However, I almost always regret the days that I do NOT wake up early to run. 

5. Also, run at nighttime. Not too late that it's dangerous but late enough that it's started to cool down outside. There's something motivating about running in the extremes of the day. 

6. Run on roads (safely) where there is traffic. I find it SO much easier to run on roads where cars are always passing than in the country or neighborhood. It makes me feel like I have to keep running for my "audience." And then when you have to stop at a busy intersection to wait for the cross walk, you just pose and look really cool. Pretend to check the time on your watch. Stretch your legs. Crack your neck. You know, the works. 


7. Not the cheapest option BUT any who… buy new running clothes! So motivating. Get some cool shoes, or some tall socks, or a lulu lemon tank top, and just look super cool. 

8. Just a personal tip to the ladies. Run in your sports bra every once in a while. You will run so stinkin fast. I don't feel super comfortable doing that so I get my run done A S A P.

9. Brag to your nanny kids about how far you run. Surprisingly fulfilling. 

10. Change your route. I don't do this very often at home because as mentioned, I find a lot of motivation from running up the same busy road. But, at school, we usually try to mix it up so that we aren't running the same route all the time. Look for a local trail you can run, or bike path, or an out-and-back loop. You can run pretty much anywhere. Also, run on vacation! Some of my favorites runs have been from vacation. San Fran. Chicago.

11. Join your college cross-country or track team where you have to run a certain amount of miles or else. Just kidding. Kinda. It does work though. 

This picture is from earlier this week. After a long run my legs felt a little bit-uh-bad. And I took an ice bath. Painful but worth it and I'm convinced it helped me be ready for my run the next morning! 

Anyways, I am pretty positive that A N Y O N E can be a runner. Anyone. You just have to start small and keep adding a little bit more each week. It doesn't' matter how fast you go, just go!!! And keep on getting out there even when it's hard. Get yourself some neon shoes, Afrojack (or sermons), and cute headbands and you can do just about anything. 


You won't regret it. 

2 comments:

  1. i'm liking this blog thing you have going on. you've got a natural little talent to it. and sorry to disappoint, but i am not a runner. i just can't be one. i want to so badly, but its just not gonna happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind!! haha you've just got to give it a chance, and then more and more chances :)

      Delete